Thursday, September 5, 2013

Break It Down...Rap Breakdowns in R&B

This morning, I was listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show and he played Bobby Brown's monster hit from 1992, "Humpin' Around."  As I was getting out of the shower and humming along with Bobby, Stylz started to spit his flow in the breakdown of the song.  I then started to wonder, whatever happened to this guy?  I wonder what happened to his rap career?  I remember seeing him in the B Brown Posse video along with a bunch of other wanna be singers and rappers (one of which is now one of the stars of NBC's "Community," Yvette Nicole Brown), but I don't remember him dropping an album or single.  I then did a quick Google search and came up with nothing.  I wonder what happened to this guy?  It's as if he fell of of the earth!




As I continued to hum along with Bobby, I then started to think of other songs that featured rappers we either never heard from again or ever knew their name.  Immediately, "Lies" from En Vogue came to mind.  "Lies" was En Vogue's 2nd single from their debut album, "Born To Sing."  It featured a rapper by the name of Debbie T.  Now, I don't recall ever seeing Debbie T but once (I think it was the Arsenio Hall Show), the rest of the time, I remember Dawn Robinson doing the rap the rest of the time.   Well, I decided to do another quick Google search and all I could find is a wikipedia page of her high school,
Pinole Valley High School.  They list her as an alumni, but no other information was available.  




Another classic that came to mind was Tony Toni Tone''s "Feels Good" from 1990. First of all, I never really knew who did the rap on this song. After a little digging, I see that this guy is now known as Mopreme Shakur. His original name was Wycked and (supposedly) is the step brother of the one and only 2pac. I found this interview with him on YouTube and it is very interesting.






Thank God for Google.  I now know who did the breakdown on "Feels Good" and several others hit records of the 80s and 90s.  Until next time.

No comments: