Friday, March 19, 2010

One's Authentic Cyber Self

Yesterday, a Facebook friend of mine posted some "political" humor that I found to be very inappropiate. It wasn't the fact that the post was political that bothered me, but it was wishing for another person's death. I'm not going to repost the comment, however, it did make me realize how social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. tend to bring out one's authentic self.

People post anything and everything on their social networking profiles. Their favorite songs, news stories, movies, etc. are all key ponents that make up most of our profiles in social-cyberspace. Social sites are really good if they are used for what they were originally designed for. I don't think the creator of Facebook ever meant for anyone to post about the wishing death on someone.

This particular person tends to take a stand on many issues and makes many political comments. I love getting into spirited debates with people over issues. This is something that I have loved for years. My problem lies when there is no equal balance. If there is no balance in anything, that's when things tend to get out of hand.

I guess people are definitely products of their environments? Growing up in East Texas, my view on life was very one-sided also. It wasn't until I got to college and met other people from different walks of life that I learned to accept people for who they were and not for what they have. You learn that things like welfare and socio-economics don't define a person. Some people just have a little bad luck and don't overcome the obstacles at the same time. Now, I'm not saying that is the case for ALL people, but for a lot of people that I've come in contact with it is.

When I started socializing on social networks like Facebook, one of the first things I learned was that people grow and mature in different ways. Connecting with people from the past is not always good. Some things/people are better left in your past life.


Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

No comments: